So you have been scrolling through Facebook and an advert pops up with a black dress to die for, you click on the image and it is instant love (the type of love you feel when you have a plate of nyama choma in front of you), the price is right and the vendor is saying they will deliver to you. All sounds perfect, you place your order online and that black dress will be hugging your curves in a matter of days. What could possibly go wrong, Kenyans are shopping daily online? Saying this, it is important as an online shopper to stay safe when purchasing items online. At Tique a Bou we have come up with a short summary on some important points to help you stay safe when shopping online:
- Do your homework! – Us inhabitants of planet earth (Kenyans included) currently live in a review based era which is fantastic news if you want to do some due diligence before buying those heels or palazzo pants online. Start by seeing what other customer experiences with the online shop have been. You are able to access these on social media channels e.g. Facebook, Google Reviews and Trust Pilot;
- Is there a human behind the screen? Always ensure to see if it is it easy to get in touch and speak to a real person? When you call the helpline what type of impression do you receive from the individual on the other end? More often than not, follow your gut feeling on this! Equally importantly; check the online shop’s email address. It’s easy for anybody to make an email account on Gmail or Hotmail for example so always ensure the domain name is in the name of the company, for example, [email protected]/[email protected];
- In the instance the item arrives and you are not happy does the store offer refunds and exchange? Returns & exchange policies tend to be a nightmare however a genuine online shop which provides this service will always have a dedicated page where their terms and conditions are clearly stated. Make sure you are able to locate this on the website and are happy with the terms before you make your purchase;
- Paybill is your best friend – Do not pay for a product to a personal M-pesa/Airtel number, always ensure there is a Paybill Number for a registered company, Safaricom has a strict policy for companies to obtain a Paybill number. This keeps you more secure and you are able to escalate any issues you may encounter with either Safaricom or Airtel;
- Security – Whenever you check out on an online store’s website, always ensure the website is “https” secure. This can be found at the beginning of the website e.g. https://www.onlinestore.com this means your personal data is encrypted and cannot be compromised. Any debit/credit card details you enter will be kept on a secure server which no one can access;
- Deliveries – Does the online store use a reputable courier to make deliveries to your specified delivery point? This further enhances the credibility of the online store, in the unfortunate instance you have an issue you can report the online shop to the courier company.
At Tique a Bou Clothing we are doing all of the above and more! Our customer’s are paramount, we provide next day delivery to all major towns and cities including Nairobi and Mombasa, have a dedicated helpline – 041 2247 222, a secure check out portal and we use Fargo Couriers to ensure your products reach you the next day. Our customers also have a lot of good things to say about us, why don’t you have a look on:
Happy shopping and stay safe online!